Sunday, May 2, 2010

Out of Service

While I thoroughly enjoyed the Merrie Monarch Parade last month, I did get quite chilled in the rain... and came down with a nasty cold that just will not go away. Ick! I was pretty out of it for a while there, and still have a bit of lingering cough, but otherwise I feel mostly recovered.

But now Mike's got it. No fair! And he was so good about taking care of me for the 2 weeks I was pretty much bed-ridden.

So we have an assortment of cough drops... lots of herbs, teas, & vitamins... plenty of good nourishing food... and have greatly enjoyed a few gatherings with friends to cheer us up once the worst was over.

But not much has happened during this time, so not much to write about here.

Hmmm... there must be something...

The liliko'i is in full bloom and totally abuzz with honeybees. There's an outstanding crop of avocados coming along. Little Valencia oranges are hanging on the tree, along with another batch of fragrant orange blossoms. The site for the new & improved screenhouse is all cleared, and Mike had just started pouring footings for the uprights when he came down with the cold. We're selling about 7 dozen eggs a week, thanks to our beautiful mixed flock of chickies. And the hale is empty for a while, so we can spread out a bit.

Now if we could just shake this dang cold...

4 comments:

Kyle B. Sasaoka said...

I find the stuff you write about really interesting as I like the same kinda stuff. It is cool how you homeschooled your keiki. Must have been an awesome experience. Thank you for an excellent blog :) I love avocados. When I visited a family friends house on Haiku Maui, they had a bunch of avocados coming out, not quite ripe yet but big ones!

Liz said...

Thank you for your kind words, Kyle!
I truly enjoyed our homeschooling days; I learned so much right along with them.
It'll be months yet before our avocados are ready to eat, but I sure am looking forward to it!

Lori H. said...

Mmmm avocados are a rare treat here in Alaska -- I sure miss all the fresh fruit and veggies in Hawaii! Remember the huge avocados we used to get from a box by the side of the road upcountry in Maui, near that cute little octagonal church? Those were the best! :)

Liz said...

Lori, I do remember those huge avos, and the sweet lemons too. What a great combo!